Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Done and Dusted!!!!!

Hey guys. I finally finished the eBook and I have to say I'm glad.

Not that i hated the book, because I actually enjoyed it. So did my work colleague, Frances. And so did some of the Sydney buses passengers. Not that they actually said so, but we knew! We watched their expectant faces when we boarded at Neutral Bay. They were ready to hang on every word. And no wonder, Frances is a fantastic reader, and by the time we started the bus-theatre performance, we were nearly up to the good bits.

People bag out on Sydney buses all the time. It's unfair really. I've been using the buses since I was old enough to walk, and i think they're great. And they mostly run on time. Don't believe all the stuff you see on tv, most of it's sh*#. The drivers vary a little, but really, I've only ever struck one who needed a career change. Although the drivers we had during the Sands Against the Wind Travelling Show, did smile at us when we got off in Macquarie Street (The Queen Vic actually; we power walk to Mac. St.).

Sure, they might have been smiling because we were finally leaving; but that's a cynic’s point of view. I think they were smiling at two youngish women, who know that in Australia we do have great freedom. And as long as we don't abuse it (which we didn't) we're free to do almost anything we feel like; even reading out loud on Sydney buses is fine. Thanks to all the wonderful SB people. My job depends on you. Well getting to it does; driving isn't an option anymore. Well not if I want to get there in time to actually do some work before the courts close.

So here's to all of you at SB. We salute you. http://www.sydneybuses.info/ OK so what's that got to do with the book? A lot! Remember I read it, Frances read it, and a whole lot of Sydneysiders heard it on the 8am from Neutral Bay ferry wharf. So Maffey had quite an audience.

This book, while it isn't the greatest one I've ever read, it did end up being a good yarn. And the author, Maffey is a pretty good writer. Although I think he could cut down on details and maybe learn to tell his story, with far less characters in it. I think there are too many characters, and Maffey describes too many events. Readers don't need every detail; we have a brain and we have good imaginations; so trust us Maffey. And let us use them. You don't have to tell your story like you're talking to a group of English Lit, uni students. We get it! Well most of the time.

So would I recommend this book to anyone else. Well Frances would. She loved it. But then she's into history. In her job she has to check historical facts. She has to prove, or disprove, whether events actually happened as stated. Big task, and she's an expert. So for her to enjoy it, that says a lot. Although she was irritated a few times by Maffey's rambling. I could tell because she kept tapping her foot very quickly. She does that when she's upset. When we're in meetings I watch her foot all the time, so I know when I'm going on too much, or when I should call it a rap.

So Maffey old boy, well done. It's great you are a good writer who is willing to give away his work to eBook readers.

Thanks. Lindsay

No comments: