Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Alex knows there is no prize for 2nd place

I read Lindsay's comment at work today and posted a quick comment. The first thing I did when i got home was to fire up the laptop and log into the blog to finish off the draft i started on the 20th - here is the completed thing.


Hi everyone, I've finished the book. Actually i finished it last week!!! I just have to make that point. How immature is that?

I just want to make a couple of quick comments about it. As I've said before I had trouble getting into it at first, but I just kept ploughing on until I made a connection with the story. It's not a book I would normally read, but I did enjoy most of it. I think it's a bit too long, and a lot of the details could have been left out without losing the plot. I have to read a lot for my job, so for entertainment, I usually like to read something light and easy to get through. Sands Against the Wind was a bit too heavy for me. Not because the work was based on historical fact - well I think they were facts; I’ll have to take the authors word on that one - no the heavy bit was because the story was all over the shop at times. Now how's that for a literary comment? You know what i mean. it sort of shoots off in different directions a lot, and that made me work hard to get my head around it. It was an entertaining story in a GREAT coat. The author created some interesting drama, but on the whole i found the book made me work too hard, so it didn't fulfil my entertainment desires. I think Riccardo Maffey is a fine writer. He seems to have done his research well, and he sure knows a lot about his subject. I'd recommend his book to anyone who really enjoys history, with a human face. END OF COMMENT

MESSAGE TO MY FELLOW BOOK CLUB MEMBERS: Now we're done with this month's read, can we choose our own ebook please? i don't get much time to read for pleasure so i'd like the next book to be a bit of plain old light entertainment. What are you ideas on this?

Hey it would be really great if we video ourselves talking about the next book, and post them to the blog. What do you think?

No comments: