Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Author Thinks I Was Too Harsh!

Hi Eugene,
Good to hear you defend your work with such passion. You make an interesting case, but I still think your Zen eBook relies far too heavily on foul language as a reader engagement tool; and that detracts from the writing quality.

Sorry, but your technique just doesn’t cut the mustard. I think the methodology fails, and that’s why I couldn’t take the work seriously.

You asked why I didn’t hammer you about Norman’s obsession with sex. Good question, because you do use his sexual exploits to build the persona. And the story relies heavily on his ability to get every woman he meets into bed. Sure it's true that all the women throw themselves at him, and actually instigate the rather crazy bed-hopping. But Norman doesn't stop to think about the consequences of his involvements.

Answer: I accepted your fictional character for what he is. A shallow youth, who lacked the maturity to understand that sex, has little, if anything, to do with relationship building. His behaviour fits the mould of a young man driven by a desire to take, without any thought for personal responsibility. Now come on; surely you don't expect us to believe that poor old Norman didn't know that getting into bed with his own aunt wasn't a good idea? His aunt was a lonely woman; what was Norman's excuse? How many women did he have on the go at the same time? It was pretty hard to keep count.

Still he did learn a lesson or two along the way. He discovered he was capable of experiencing feelings for others, albeit, fleeting, and shallow ones. And when push came to shove, his choices were always based on what he wanted, and expected.

He should have gotten his comeuppances when Betsy double-crossed him, but his depth of emotional maturity, robbed him of the genuine pain-response, that others might feel when a loving (a gross over statement) relationship ends.

Sorry Eugene. I’m sticking with my initial critique, but I do wish you well with the new novel.

Cheers, Lindsay.

NOTE: Read the author's comment - scroll down to my earlier post: Am I being too harsh here? You be the judge. posted: Sunday March 30

Don't forget to check below for comments. Just click to read.

1 comment:

Zen Warwickshire said...

Hi Lindsay, this is my final word on this subject I promise. I have advised Ian that there is no-way our exchanges of opinion could ever become bitter. In fact I told hime straight, I'm indebted to you for reading my novel, that it has excited and encouraged me and will drive me on to finish my next novel.Just think you might be the only person in the world apart from me to have read this novel. I trust you will continue to read and review ebooks, not mine of course; only joking. I did go to that link you advised, that prof. needed to quote Groucho a few times to keep his audience awake and yeah yeah I do know all about the inherant design faults in the English language. Interesting his Bono story in the swearing section; as a couple of years ago over here Bonon sat beside our Primeminister awaiing his turn to make a speech at their Party Conference. He took to the stage and used the F. word several times, each time he received loud applause; his speech was broadcast live on all our U.K. television stations in the day including yes! the BBC. No complaints were received. We live in different worlds Lindsay and I'm only writing about mine. I do really envy you living in Australia, keep enjoying your good fortune. Best and sincere good wishes to you;
eugenebinx@hotmail.co.uk
P.S. Sorry if receive this comment loads of times.