Sunday, March 30, 2008

Am I being a bit harsh here? You be the judge!

Hi folks,

Frances and I decided to can the road show for this one, and I’m glad we did. We would have been chucked off the motor vehicle, and flung into the harbour, for using obscene language if we’d read this eBook to the Sydney Buses' passengers. We would have ended up in the courts; and I would have become the laughing stock of all my peers.

Sorry Eugene old boy, but you did your dash when you used the F word seven times in seven consecutive sentences. I'm not kidding you here people. Binx gets a sub-zero this time. He murdered what could have been a bit of light entertainment for me over the Easter weekend.

Binx needs to take a creative writing course. Then he’d learn that writers who repeat words, because they lack the skill to critically analyse their work, get the thumbs down from serious readers.

He'd also learn that profanity can never cover up bad writing. Trying to shock readers just doesn’t win brownie points; they expect more from authors. They expect quality writing, regardless of the genre. If Binx enrols in a good course, and works hard, he might eventually become a reasonably good author. He might even discover the richness of the English language and find a wealth of fantastic words to tell his stories with passion and style.

This You Tube video might help you Eugene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpetDxIEMU

The Norman character might have been strong enough to pull the story together, and save it, but Binx’s limited vocabulary sent it to the sin bin.

When I selected Zen & The Art of Stand Up Comedy by Eugene Binx, I didn’t expect it to fall into the big L, literature league. But I did expect it to engage me and keep me on the hook.

I read the whole book because I’m a ‘finisher’; not a 'quitter'. Take my advice people, if you want a good read, give Zen a miss and spend your time on something worthwhile.

Tess of the D’Urbervilles is listed in the Globusz OZ showcase. Why don’t you give that a go?

Of course, it won’t give you a good laugh; you’ll probably cry your eyes out, at the end. But at least the tears will spring from your soul, not your spleen. And by that I mean, they won’t be tears of frustration because Binx wasted your precious time.

Happy reading, and cheers,

Lindsay.

PS this might be my last post. I might be excommunicated from the club. Should I just say good-bye to you all now, or beg forgiveness?

Don't forget to check below for comments. Just click to read.

6 comments:

Zen Warwickshire said...

Good'ay Linsay, I thank you for reading my novel. A bit harsh? Well I guess that any review is a good review really and your's is my first ever, so truly thanks. Just to explain perhaps why you didn't get it, Zen&The Art Of Stand-Up Comedy (The Novel) is written for the U.K. market. Stand-Up comedy here contains all those swearwords and more, even on the BBC into our homes it comes. Therefore it's not un-reasonable that my fictional characters would swear on and off stage. You didn't compain about the sex, which I thought was perhaps a bit over the top! I'm well into my second novel now, 50 pages and hardly a swearword in sight and no sex. I think you might have advanced your critical career more, if you'd just admitted that Zen the Novel is a great little read, fast, funny,sad,sexy and plausible. Best regards, eugenebinx@hotmail.co.uk

Lindsay said...

Hi Eugene,
Thanks for taking the time to write a comment. I've posted my response to your comment.
Cheers,
Lindsay.

Christine, Suzanne and the Team said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine, Suzanne and the Team said...

Hello Eugene,

I'd just like to welcome you to the Globusz Book Club, and to thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on the blog.

I do understand what you mean about the UK market. When I was living in London, I was often amazed by the content of many of the local TV shows. On a number of occasions I found myself saying, ‘they’d never get away with that in OZ.’

It is wonderful for authors and readers to have the opportunity to interact online. I hope you will visit the blog regularly to view additional comments and articles.

If you would like to write an article about your eBook I would be happy to post it for you. You can use the contact form to email me. http://www.globuszoz.com.au/contactUs.html

Thank you accepting the member comments with such good humour. I trust you find them both amusing and useful.

I expect the review will stimulate many people to download your eBook from the Globusz website.

Kindest regards,

Suzanne,
on behalf of the Globusz Team.

Zen Warwickshire said...

Thanks for the above offer Suzanne and the Team; however I feel the synopsis of Zen on your Globusz Site allows visitors to easily decide if Zen might be worth a look. Lindsay's answer to my questioning on the sex content surprised me. All three of his sleeping partners actually dragged Norman into bed, as would have the Soldiers wife back in Birmingham, pre-novel. The Sopranos! a swear word in every sentence, main stream television, awards! I'd guess those writers are just writing for those tyoe of characters, as I wrote for mine and not to cover up their lack of writing skills. Lucky for them that Lindsay didn't review their pilot script. A really genuine best wishes to you all from;
eugenebibx@hotmail.co.uk

Christine, Suzanne and the Team said...

Did you read Alex's comment about Lindsay?

She’s like the wordsmith Grim Reaper. I’m glad I’m not an author. I’d be too scared to let her anywhere near my books. She’d mow me down like a Sherman tank. Here’s a video to help you get a handle on the damage she’d cause. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-7JZIHsRN0

Cheers,

Suzanne